Research & Evaluation Manager-Child Survival-Global Malnutrition Initiative – Somali National
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The Research & Evaluation Manager will lead the Somalia Country Office’s Evidence and Learning agenda for Child Poverty Reduction. Using operational and empirical approaches to research and evaluation, the Research & Evaluation Manger will ensure a deep dive into Child Poverty reduction programmes to document impact and effectiveness of SCI Child livelihood improving intervention at individual, community and structural levels. He/She will work closely with other members of the Program Development & Quality (PDQ) department to extract learning from wider research and practitioner communities to promote innovation, and ensure that learning from research and evaluations is used to improve program quality, inform evidence-based program design; and drive innovation, and inform policy and advocacy work in both the humanitarian and development sectors to deepen the impact of our work on children’s lives.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Master’s Degree Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Public Health with a strong quantitative focus or related field required or Bachelor’s degree with 5 years’ experience in research that use impact evaluations designs.
· At least 5 plus years’ experience in designing and implementing rigorous research is required, prior research experience on nutrition epidemiology, clinical trials, maternal and reproductive health, WASH, studies is a MUST.
· Experience in designing and analysing impact evaluations using Randomized Control trial or quasi experimental designs, and other robust impact evaluation techniques.
· Experience in developing research protocols and ethics approval applications
· Experience in using STATA, R or other statistical packages for data analysis especially using panel data.
· Knowledge and demonstrated experience of designing and managing high level researches and evaluations
· Demonstrated ability to think critically, strategically and analyze complex information and offer creative, practical and effective solutions
· Experience of conducting mixed-method research with strong quantitative background and competent in measurements of livelihood outcomes.
· Experience in design and conducting qualitative research is desirable.
· Experience in participatory action research (PAR) is highly desirable
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and an ability to produce and disseminate research and evaluation outputs to variety of audiences using effective approaches.
· Prior research article publication in peer-reviewed journal is an added advantage.
· Experience working in conflict affected and humanitarian contexts or with pastoralist communities in Somalia.
· Strong inter-organisational skill such as networking including donors, negotiation and communication.
· High level of fluency in English, both verbal and written, required.
· Commitment to Save the Children International values.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Date advertised: 25 Mar 2020
Closing date: 7 Apr 2020 - 23:59 EAT
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Department: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time