Head of Food Security Social Protection &Livelihoods
Head of Food Security, Social Protection & Livelihoods
The job holder takes overall responsibility in setting the strategic direction, growth and coordination of Save the Children International’s work on Poverty Reduction in South Sudan, which includes cash transfer programming, social protection and shock responsive safety nets, economic resilience, climate adaptation and resilience, food security and livelihoods and youth economic empowerment programming, including TVET. This includes leading and overseeing the development and delivery of high quality and cost effective programmes in both humanitarian and long-term development settings, resulting in immediate and lasting change for children. In collaboration with the monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & learning team, the head of Food Security, Social Protection & Livelihoods will also provide technical leadership in Food Security, Social Protection and livelihoods (poverty reduction) focused studies, documentation and dissemination of innovations and good practices to inform project design, implementation and policy and advocacy efforts in line with the Country Office’s Evidence & Learning Agenda. S/he will also be responsible for networking, collaboration and partnerships with relevant stakeholders in the country, Government ministries, UN agencies and civil society organisations, as well as playing a leading role in establishing, maintaining and expanding donor relations to mobilise resources to in line with the sector’s strategic ambitions.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
- Master’s degree in social sciences; economics; natural resource management or a related field
- 5 years’ experience in developing, overseeing and delivering high quality and cost-effective poverty reduction programmes (experience in social protection or youth economic empowerment or climate change/economic resilience preferable)
- Experience in strategic planning, including an ability to prioritize among competing demands and opportunities, and an ability to scan the horizon and manage risks
- Experience working in South Sudan or similar fragile/conflict/humanitarian contexts is desirable
- Experience of working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff
- Ability to extensively travel for project monitoring and provide on-site technical support to field teams
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner, and experience of being a strategic influencer with relevant stakeholders, building personal networks at senior levels, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organization
- Experience of building, leading and developing staff in a matrix management and remote management environment
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results delivery with the ability to solve complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Contract Duration: 24 months
Location: South Sudan, Juba Country Office
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://southsudan.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Date advertised: 21 Jun 2022
Closing date: 7 Jul 2022 - 00:59 EAT
Location: Juba, South Sudan
Department: Programme, Development and Quality
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time