Somalia/Somaliland Drought Response in Numbers
Humanitarian crisis in Somalia is among the most complex and longstanding emergencies. While large-scale famine has been averted in 2017, the humanitarian impact of the drought has been devastating. According to Somalia 2018 humanitarian needs overview:
- 6.2 million Somalis (half the population) in need of humanitarian assistance
- 1.2 million children are expected to be suffering from acute malnutrition
- An estimated 3.6 million people are in need of protection services. 76% of recorded GBV incidents were reported by IDPs
- More than 3 million Somalis are in IPC Phase 2 Stressed, and in need of livelihood support, to avoid sliding into Crisis or Emergency
- Nearly 2 million people are living in hard-to-reach, conflict-affected, rural areas in the Southern and Central Somalia.